Catherine Ray, 1903

Birth 1903 42 38
Katie Ray

Birth of a brotherGeorge Joseph Ray
July 1905 (aged 2 years)
Death of a brotherGeorge Joseph Ray
September 1, 1905 (aged 2 years)
Birth of a brotherSydney J Ray
1906 (aged 3 years)
Death of a paternal grandmotherCatherine Herrick
January 9, 1909 (aged 6 years)
Burial of a paternal grandmotherCatherine Herrick
January 10, 1909 (aged 6 years)
Death of a sisterEdith Rose Ray
October 6, 1910 (aged 7 years)



A fearful burning accident took place at 4 o'clock this afternoon, the victim being a young girl named Edith Ray, employed as domestic servant by Mr. Parkhill, sheriff's officer.

Parkhill and his family had been away for a holiday, and were returning by today's train. The girl went to the house to prepare tea. While doing so, her clothes became ignited. She ran into the garden of the court-house, a mass of flames, and screaming piteously. The screams were heard by a black tracker in the adjoining police station, and he wont to her aid, closely followed by Sergeant Gibson and Sub-inspector Boar, with blankets.

Unfortunately, before they arrived, the blacktracker had put the girl under a water tap, which Increased her suffering. When the flames were subdued, every bit of clothing had been burnt off the girl, even the leather belt she was wearing being burned through.

She was conveyed to the hospital. Edith Ray succumbed to her injuries at 11.30 on Saturday night. It has transpired that her clothing ignited whilst she was using the skirt of her dross to take a kettle from the stove.

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Monday 7 February 1910 p 8 Article



A Young Girl Burned to Death.

A shocking accident occurred on Saturday afternoon, by which a young girl, Edith Rose Ray, aged sixteen years and eight months, was accidentally burned so severely that she succumbed to her injuries before midnight.

The deceased girl was a daughter of Mr and Mrs E. S. Ray, of West Hay, and was employed by Mr Parkhill, who with his family had been absent from Hay on a holiday. The Parkhills were returning to Hay by Saturday afternoon's train, and the girl had gone to their house, adjoining the Courthouse, in Pine-street, to prepare for their home coming.

She was alone at the house, and was preparing tea, about 4 p.m. Mr Shepherd, caretaker at the Courthouse, was working in the Courthouse enclosure, and was startled by hearing fearful shrieks. On looking up he saw the girl running through the right of way separating the Parkhill's house from the court house garden, a mass of flames.

He picked up a bucket, rushed to the copper at Parkhill's, at which he filled it, and then ran after the girl. By this time she had reached the north-east corner of the courthouse, and her cries had attracted the attention of others. Mr Shepherd threw the bucketful of water over the girl, the black tracker also threw water over her, and Senior-ConstableGibson and Sub-Inspector Bear, who arrived almost immediately afterwards, completed the work of suppressing the fire by wrapping the girl in rugs and blankets.

The flames had, however, nearly burned themselves out, as there was hardly a handful of clothing left on the unfortunate girl, even a leather belt she was wearing having been burned through. Surgical assistance was immediately summoned, Dr. Feilchenfeld was promptly on the scene, and the girl was removed straightaway, in Mr Webster's ambulance, to the Hay Hospital.

The wounds were of a fearful character, mostly about the body, and Dr. Feilchenfeld at the outset, gave no hope that the unfortunate girl would recover. At the hospital everything that medical and nursing skill could do was done for the sufferer, but it was of no avail, and about 11.45 p.m., the girl breathed her last.

The girl was conscious at intervals during her sojourn at the hospital, and was able to give her father an account of how the accident happened. It appears that she was removing the kettle from the stove, and finding the handle of it was hot she made use of her skirt, as many girls are in the habit of doing, as a ' holder' to enable her to lift it off without burning her hand. In doing so her dress became ignited.

She tried to put the fire out her self, until it got beyond her control, and she then rushed out into the open air, where the flames were fanned by the wind and she was quickly enveloped. As showing how completely the fire had taken possession of the girl's clothing, we may mention that burning pieces of her clothes were dropping off her as she ran.

Some of these set fire to the dry grass, between the right of way and the cultivated part of the courthouse enclosure, and about twenty five square yards of grass were burnt before the fire died out for want of fuel. The facts of the occurrence were reported to the coroner, who decided to dispense with an inquiry, there being no doubt the fatality was the result of an accident.

Great sympathy is expressed on all sides with the parents and relatives of the girl, at such an ending to a young life.

The Riverine Grazier (Hay, NSW : 1873 - 1954) Tuesday 8 February 1910 p 2 Article

Death of a brotherSydney J Ray
1915 (aged 12 years)
Death of a fatherEdward Stephen Ray
January 8, 1946 (aged 43 years)
Death of a brotherAllan John Ray
April 30, 1947 (aged 44 years)
Cause: Suicide


The Coroner, Mr. T. F. Cook, J.P., yesterday held an inquest touching the death of Allan John Ray and found that he had died poison, self-administered, from the . affects of strychnine. The evidence was to the following effect.

Sgt. Foley stated , that about 4.30 p.m. on 30th. April he went to the Bushy Bend with Dr. Thompson, who examined the body of the deceased lying near his camp and pronounced life extinct. The body was that of Allan John Ray, a single man, a returned soldier of the 1914-18 war.

Near the body was a small bottle which witness would say contained strychnine. There was also a panniken containing a small quantity of pink crystal. There were marks indicating that a struggle had taken place on the ground - the marks, were like the scratchings of deceased's hands. He was present when a post mortem examination was conducted by Dr. Thompson and certain organs removed, sealed in jars and handed to the police.

These organs were conveyed to the Government Analyst by escort. The report of the analyst showed that the contents of the body contained 0.6 grains of strychnine. The bottle and jug near the body were also reported to have contained small quantities of strychnine. Witness further stated that the deceased ' had lived' here practically all his life.

He had been away from Hay but returned here about a week before his death, suffering the after effects of a drinking bout. From information he had received, it would appear that the deceased had been a sick man for some time and was not quite normal. From enquiries made and his own observations, witness would say that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death, and if poison had been administered, he would say that it had been self administered.

The scratches indicated earlier would be consistent with the deceased's own struggling. Dr. Geo. A. Thompson, Government Medical Officer at Hay gave evidence of having examined the body, taken certain organs therefrom and of having sealed them and handed them to the police. He would say that death had occurred in the previous two hours from the time he had examined the body at the Bushy Bend.

Having read the certificate of the Government Analyst he would say that death had been caused by strychnine poisoning; the amount stated to have been found in the organs sent for examination being more than sufficient to have caused death.

Alfred Matthews, pensioner living near the deceased gave evidence of a conversation with deceased on the morning of 30th. April when deceased borrowed his boat to go across the river to see about a job. Deceased returned the boat and informed witness, that he was to start on the job the following day.

At this time the deceased appeared quite normal, and he did so when witness spoke to him about 2 p.m. Witness next saw the deceased lying on the ground near his hut an hour or so later. He went over, put his hand on deceased, and called out 'Allan.'

He did not reply but made a sort of quiver with his lips. Witness, further stated that he had known deceased a good number of years and, never heard him say that he would take his life. He had been away at Carrathool and Narrandera returning about a fortnight before his death.

He was a little bit erratic and had some funny ideas — he was a little bit queer, witness thought. He had not complained to witness of sickness other than that his head was a little dizzy.' To witness' knowledge he had not recently been drinking in Hay but he said that he had been drinking in Carrathool and Naranderra. He put witness in mind of a man who was half in the horrors.

Albert Ray, brother of the deceased gave evidence to the effect that he had had a conversation with deceased on 29th. April when he appeared quite normal and in good spirits. Earlier in the day he had been at the witness' home for lunch and broke off a conversation to say that he could hear the Chinaman talking to him.'

Witness said that - the Chinaman had gone away, and he did not mention the Chinaman again. Witness was under the impression that deceased was recovering from a big drinking bout. He had never heard his brother mention that he might take his life. Deceased had never had any sickness and witness did not know of his ever having attended a doctor other than for repatriation matters — he was -getting a war pension, he thought for gas.

To the Coroner: There would be no reason for deceased to have poison - he did not go out rabbiting. Witness knew of no person who would be likely to poison his brother. On the medical evidence he really thought that deceased took it himself. The Coroner said that from the analyst's report and the evidence before him, it appeared that the deceased died from strychnine poisoning. Apparently his mind had become temporarily deranged as - the result of a drinking bout.

He would find that the deceased died on 30th April at the Bushy Bend, Hay, from the effects of a certain deadly poison known as strychnine, wilfully administered by himself on the same day.

The Riverine Grazier (Hay, NSW : 1873 - 1954) Tuesday 20 May 1947 p 2 Article

Death of a sisterCaroline Sarah Ray
July 2, 1957 (aged 54 years)
Burial of a sisterCaroline Sarah Ray
July 1957 (aged 54 years)
Death of a motherRose Ellen Stanmore
1960 (aged 57 years)
Death of a brotherAlbert Ray
December 17, 1974 (aged 71 years)

Death of a brotherWilliam Stephen Ray
1975 (aged 72 years)
Family with parents
Birth: December 26, 1860 34 31Uardry Station, Murrumbidgee River near Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: January 8, 1946Hay Hospital, Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Birth: 1865Deniliquin, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 1960Narrandera, New South Wales, Australia
Marriage MarriageDecember 6, 1884Hay, New South Wales, Australia
14 years
elder brother
-7 years
elder brother
Birth: 1891 30 26Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: April 30, 1947Bushy Bend, Hay, New South Wales, Australia
10 years
elder sister
Birth: 1900 39 35Hay, New South Wales, Australia
-14 years
elder sister
Birth: 1885 24 20Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: July 2, 1957Griffith, New South Wales, Australia
19 years
-9 years
elder sister
Birth: 1893 32 28Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: October 6, 1910Hay, New South Wales, Australia
-6 years
elder sister
Birth: January 1887 26 22Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: May 7, 1890Murrumbidgee Hotel, Hay, New South Wales, Australia
10 years
elder sister
Birth: 1896 35 31Hay, New South Wales, Australia
10 years
younger brother
Birth: July 1905 44 40Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: September 1, 1905Hay, New South Wales, Australia
18 months
younger brother
Birth: 1906 45 41Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 1915Narrandera, New South Wales, Australia
-16 years
elder brother
Birth: 1889 28 24Hay, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 1975Hay, New South Wales, Australia